Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Amistad America






There was a celebration tonight about the ship the Amistad America, it was great to see all the festivities and the gathering of a dream come true. A great speech was made linking the relationship between slavery and racism and within those terms there is great similarities and one had trancended from the other. In order to break this cycle we need to look into our history as a whole because we are all part of it we have a role in understanding and taking history into the front of society and reflecting on it. This is the way to truth, knowledge and awareness of how we interact as a whole. I worked in the teen center at the Community YMCA in Halifax on Gottingen street. It was a prodominately black cetre in a community that has had a history of fighting poverty, discrimination and racism. I was so proud to see two of the boys from the youth centre I worked at as members of the Amistad ship and sailed from the last port to here. Bravo to Shacaun on the right in red and Ryan on the far left. oh yah and I added a pic of me near the carving just to show you my new skirt...I love it...terrible pic of me but whatever.

No comments: