Monday, November 27, 2006

All in a week

Where do I begin. I arrived in Halifax and Westjet lost my carving of the lure. I was stunned that they could lose a 6 foot long box. So I did not have the carving available for me to have for the silent auction. The auction dinner was nice. I gave a very nice speech and I was in great company. The Auction (must remain positive) went Okay. The mermaid went for $1000. I was told prior to the auction the starting bid was going to be $1000 but the auctioneer said at first bid $5000 then said ha only kidding and the started at $500 and went up $25 increments. It was painful to witness it. Anyways I have to let that go. I waited and called Westjet for days and my cell phone bill will be through the roof. Finally the day after I arrived in Oromocto New Brunswick the carving shows up at a post office in Halifax. I was able to get the carving of the cedar lure shipped to Oromocto and for the four days it was in westjet's hands they had no idea where it was and how it ended up at the post office. Finally getting the carving back broken. It won't take too much work to fix it, but I don't have the tools to do that so I had to put it in the basement out of my sight. I am too upset to look at what Westjet has done to it.
I am in Oromocto, literally 700 meters from the base entrance in the cutest little house on earth. I wake up to the sound of Oh Canada blaring from the elementary school in the back yard and to the sounds of exercises of guns firing from the base. My boyfriend Trevor who lives here and works on base is pretty happy about my arrival. We went for a run through the trails in CFB Gagetown yesterday. It was beautiful. Oromocto is very small. We went into the Saturday market in Fredericton and it was very cool. Don't try the Pad Thai, its terrible. This week I am working on my grant application for funding. The Canadian Arts Council creators grant. To help fund the research and creations of the paintings of the guns and vehicles issued to the Canadian military, as a still-life series. I am soo excited. From Jan to May I will be living here working on these painting with access to the base and a liaisons officer to help with my research. So keep checking my blog the images will be exciting.

No comments: