Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Too cold for ice cream

This has got to be the coldest weather I have ever experienced in my life. I walk to work and I literally have to wear so many layers and I still freeze. It only take less than ten minutes to get to work but I have to run. It is too cold and dangerous to walk. We had a terrible storm on sunday and the cat door in the basement blew snow inside we had to shut the cat door because the temperature was too severe; in the minus 40's for three days. Tonight it will be -37 before the wind chill. the cat has not been out in three days. he seems a bit depressed, but hanging in. i let him out and he can stand a minute of it and comes right in. I have been keeping a close eye on my bird feeders to make sure they don't run out. I get chickadee, nuthatches and so many other species. any given moment you look at the feeder there are over twenty birds.
The coolest thing happened I saw an arctic hare and then the other day I saw a large snowy owl, and there are deer everywhere near the base. And I finally don't here the chilling howls of the coyotes. I assume that this cold weather is normal for a person from alberta, but not for me. I lived most of my life in the maritimes a land where walking through slush is a daily activity. it is so strange for me to see all the roads covers with inches of solid ice and packed snow. It like you could skate to work. Gosh I just can't get warm

No comments: